Health and Wellbeing

Home   /   Commencing Students   /   Support   /   Health and Wellbeing

AIHE is committed to the health and wellbeing of our students.

Our aim is to support you to reach your full potential academically and this means we need to help you to take care of your physical and mental health and your social and emotional wellbeing.

AIHE provides a safe and respectful learning environment along with free and confidential student support services and information to aid you in receiving assistance from appropriate sources external to AIHE.

Below is some important information about:

  • Emergency procedures on campus
  • AIHE’s critical incident response procedures
  • Counselling services for students
  • First aid and medical assistance

Please familiarise yourself with these services and procedures and if you have any queries please seek assistance from the Student Support Officer or email with your query.

When you hear a warning alarm, listen to the instructions and get ready to evacuate if you are given this instruction.

On being advised to “evacuate” follow the warden’s instructions, vacate the building using the stairs as directed, and meet in the designated assembly area. This is usually in Hindmarsh Square, however this can change depending on the emergency. Students and staff must follow the warden’s instructions.

A critical incident is a traumatic event, or the threat of such, which causes extreme stress, fear or injury.

Any staff member, student or visitor involved in, witnessing or becoming aware of a critical incident must immediately contact the AIHE General Manager.

Depending on the incident, when it is necessary in the first instance the staff member, student or visitor must contact the relevant Emergency Services by dialling 000 and if applicable secure the area. Under no circumstances are injured students or staff to be transported in private vehicles.

Police – life threatening emergency 000  or police assistance 24/7 131 444

Fire – emergencies000  or  general enquiries in business hours(TBC)

Ambulance – life threatening emergency 000

Please refer to the AIHE Critical Incident Policy and Critical Incident Procedure .

The Counselling Service to students is provided by a third-party provider, details of which are (tbc). This is a free and confidential service.
(Details to be provided).
If you would like assistance in arranging an appointment please seek assistance from the Student Support Officer or email

Community services that may be useful to students:

  • phone 1800 007 007, Available Monday – Friday, 9:30 to 4:30pm

First Aid

For minor matters on campus please seek assistance from the Student Assist Desk.

Medical assistance – Seeing a Doctor

If you are an international student and need to seek health treatment or see doctor while you are here, you can visit your nearest general medical practice or clinic.

Make sure you take your overseas student health care (OSHC) card with you together with your Student ID Card when seeing the doctor.

In some cases, you might not be required to pay up front whereas at other times you need to make an up front payment and claim later with your health insurance provider.

Make sure you are clear about your health insurance policy, including understanding what you are covered for, what is the claims procedure, and any advice that might be relevant when you need to see a doctor.

The preferred provider of OSHC for student visa holders at AIHE is Bupa. If requested by students, AIHE will organise OSHC for the duration of your student visa. Find out more about OSHC Bupa at the Bupa website.

If you change address, you must inform your OSHC provider and AIHE at your earliest convenience and in no later than 7 days.

It is noteworthy that OSHC is not the same as Medicare, which is the public health care provider for Australian permanent residents and citizens.